Monday 21 May 2012

(Microwave) Besan Laddoo

Truth be told, I had no intentions of making Besan Laddoo at this point in time. It is not Holi, it is not Diwali. If anything, it is just a week before I travel. And you want to keep it simple at such times because your focus is packing. Not cooking. And that is precisely why I end up making this sweet my second last Sunday in London. Because I am moving. And because I must utilize my grocery to the best of my ability till the last breath of my life:) Tell you what? I got so ambitious that I wanted to make boondi with the besan & carry some to India! Realized I don't have the equipment to turn dream into reality. Settled for besan laddoos instead. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Not without some prior research though. Why do all that mehnat of endlessly stirring the chickpea flour in the kadhai ? There has to be a short cut. And there is! Just put your microwave to good use. You did not invest so much in it to just warm your food & milk! Make some laddoos. Share them with your friends. The joy of sharing equals none. And tell them how you accomplished this in less than thirty minutes! Also, tomorrow is Nive's birthday. Though kaju katli was her favourite once upon a time, who knows she may even dig the online besan laddoo that doesn't threaten the waistline!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    During my hostel days, Amrita di was the besan laddoo owner. That was a patent tuck that would come when she came back after the hols. That she was my roomy & we got along well only made matters sweeter for me :) Lately, the best BL I've had is from Kopal's maayka. These were soft, did not fall apart when bitten into & had that gooey feel that is so close to jannat. How bhai & Kopal made them last for more than a day still baffles me! With the paeans, it needs to be mentioned, that this IS a fattening food. If consumed like a glutton. But you are not. A chef cannot be greedy. Make laddoos for the khaandan, the aroma of the ghee coated besan & the satiety that accompanies those smiles, will make you full anyway. 
                                                                                                      Did I hear you say 'What rubbish! I want to make my laddoos & eat it too'? Well, a chef can be greedy. But only at times. Like this one. I made the laddoos yesterday afternoon. Of the 12 large laddoos, I've eaten only 4 1/2. In less than 24 hours. You call that greed? Naah! I call that need. The exhausted body, with all that packing & weight-lifting, demands glucose! 
                                                                                                      Aah, too much banter. Let's get started guys. And don't tell me I didn't warn you about this sinful delicacy ;)

Ingredients:[makes 5-6 laddoos]
1. 1 cup besan
2. 3/4 cup ghee
3. 3/4 cup sugar
4. 1 tsp cardamom powder
                                                                                                                                              Method:
1. Mix the ghee & besan well and put in the microwave(high)
for 2 mins.

2. Take out from the microwave, stir the mixture & put it back for another 2 mins. 
3. After a total of 4 minutes, you will get the roasted flavour of besan. Take out to check the browning. 
4. Put the besan back in the microwave for another minute & let it roast.
5. Let the mixture cool for a while & then add the sugar and keep mixing. The sugar will melt partially.  
6. Add the cardamom powder after the sugar is mixed properly, give it a final fold & make laddoos. 

The laddoos will form well if you refrigerate for over an hour. Do it if you are making besan laddoos for guests.
                                                                                                                                                Cz if it's for the family, you may be accosted on your way from the kitchen to the fridge & the tray whisked from your hand. The loving parivaar  doesn't want you to lift weights, you see!  





The next time I'm going easy on the ghee. Even with a little less, the laddoos can be formed well. Add a tbsp of milk, instead.  
                                                                                               Garnish besan laddoos with silver vark, raisins, almonds or any other dry fruit. Why those colossal cashews here? You guessed it! I am left with enough kajus for seven days :)
                                                                                                            Happy Birthday, Nive. May your life be as rich & as sweet as the besan laddoo. And not as half as fattening! See you soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment