This is not an ordinary cake. This is a wedding anniversary cake made by Da Man for his Lady. With ingredients that were all there at home. Without using six utensils to bake & without messing up the kitchen. Not only is there labour of love in it, there was the element of surprise. Surprise that turned to amazement & not shock. That is as big a recommendation as any suppriise can get. When Bhaiyu chose his own wedding ring, I thought it was rather unromantic. Nothing like the ring being presented by your wife on the first night. Very matter-of-factly he said while surprise was one thing, he did not want to be shocked. And remain in it for life!
Coming back to our Double Decker cake, it needs to be mentioned that this is a Gâteau, a more delicate & complex confection than, say, a tea cake. Only, the fresh fruit has been given a miss what with the fruit making their way into raita & all! Move over Betty Crocker, we have the Best Baker in town at home & the name is P. Chandra. The one is Kolkata has made jewellery famous, this one intends to excel at confectionery. There's no stopping me ab toh from having my cake and eating it too! Dear Waistline, go take a hike in the Highlands. Come back when I've had my goodies & come back slender. Enough of those cruel kamar hai ya kamra jokes, now!
Guys, this is how you will make your Double Decker Icing Gâteau for your lady-love. A big dollop of love along with the essential Ingredients will take your cake to blissful heights.
1. 1cup maida(all purpose flour)
2. 1 cup sugar
3. 1 cup oil/butter
4. 2-3 eggs
5. 1/2 cup milk(if needed)
6. 1 tsp food extract- Vanilla/Cinnamon
7. 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. 2 tbsp butter
2. 2 tbsp Nutella/Nutcity(or chocolate powder)
1. Switch on oven to pre-heat at 160-180° C.
Now speed up your preparation.
2. Grind sugar & masala(if using). If you are using liquid essence, add it later with the maida.
3. Add the oil/butter & blend well.
4. Add the eggs & whisk for 2 mins.
5. Add maida & baking powder & mix well. Add milk & mix if batter is too thick.
6. Pour batter into 2 trays & bake for 20-25 mins at 160° C.
7. When the cakes are baked, open oven but allow them to sit inside for 10 mins before taking out.
[Don't have pics for the next 3 steps. Pl read & follow]
8. Upturn cakes into separate trays when cool.
9. Take 2 round lids(or anything with sharp edge) of different sizes & cut out rounds from the 2 cakes.
10. Whip butter & Nutcity to smooth texture & coat the two layers with a knife. Use water on your finger tips for evenness.
11. Place the smaller round on the larger cake and sing your anniversary song.
Feel free to decorate your cake more if you like. And remember, the way to your Lady's heart is also through the stomach :)
Thank you dear P for making it so special.