Friday 10 February 2012

R ki S

I hear a knock on the kitchen door. Unusual, it's 7.30 in the morning! Normally Dax calls me from her side of the wall in the evenings. 


Daksha, my friendly neighbour in London. She lets me peek into her kitchen, invites us over on festivals & shares food over the garden wall. She is a good cook & enthusiastic learner. Any new recipe & she has to immediately translate it into dinner! 


Something like a knock again. I open the door. Breathless for a moment! It has snowed the whole night & the backyard looks like a scene out of Narnia!


What am I doing in the kitchen? Shouldn't I be outside!!!


I am making Roti ki Subzi that Dax taught me. The gent has to go to work & I need to pack his lunch box.


If P thinks he can have egg rolls every morning if he leaves rotis at night, he will know better now ;)


So you know what we need!


1. Rotis(usually leftovers!)
2. Chopped onion- 1/2 cup
3. Cumin Seeds- 1/4 tsp
4. Mustard Seeds- 1/4 tsp
5. Amchur Powder- 1/2tsp
6. Coriander Powder-1tsp
7. Red Chilli Powder- as preferred
8. Turmeric Powder- 1/4tsp
9. Chopped Cilantro
10. Salt- to taste 
11. Oil- to cook


 How to :

1. Soak the amchur, coriander , turmeric & red chilli powder in water. 


2.  Let the mustard & cumin seeds crackle in the hot oil.
     Saute the chopped onions for 2-3 mins on high flame.


3. Add the masala water(Step 1) in the onion fry & let the water boil.
Break the rotis into small pieces & let them simmer in the gravy till they soften.
Add salt.


4. Let the dish simmer for 5-7 mins. Add chopped cilantro & take it off flame. Serve hot.




There is a double whammy in Roti Ki Subzi!
If your family likes this, you know what to do with left over rotis.If they don't, they'll never leave rotis again :)

Atta Girl!




Wait Snow, I'm coming!







3 comments: