Wednesday 1 February 2012

Veg Delite

We were watching this old interview of Jaya & Amitabh Bachchan in which Jaya says that currently(1980s) she was not working because she had three children to look after. The two she had borne & the one she had married!


All Indian mums can relate to that one, I thought. Reminded me of Gurpreet. She wrote to me say "I am looking for a new recipe for my little one (a fussy eater) which looks tempting on the face of it & my daughter finishes it in no time."


Vegetable Fritters are something you can't go wrong with. I had eaten it in a stall run by an 
African mother son duo in Canary Wharf. We had gone for the Ice Sculpting exhibition & amidst the cold of the ice a familiar aroma of pakodas being fried had drawn us to this stall. They were making banana fritters & vegetable fritters there & it came to me as enlightenment. I had made banana fritters(pua) all my life, why had I never thought of vegetable!


Try this Gurpreet. Your little one will lap it up. Tell her it's a continental dish ;)


Ingredients:
1. Aata/Maida(Flour)- 1 cup
2. Mixed Vegetables chopped - 1/2 cup
3. Water- 2 cups
4. Baking powder- 1/4 tsp
4. Chilli powder(optional)
5. Salt to tast
6. Oil to fry


Play around with the ingredients as you want to. Add more veggies & less flour if you like.


Method:


Step 1: Mix the flour, chopped vegetables, salt, chilli powder & baking powder & make a thick batter with water.                                                                                       

   






Step 2: Pour the mixture into the frying pan & cook both sides on medium flame for 3 mins & then on high for 2 for the golden brown look.  






Vegetable Fritters are ready to eat. 
Serve hot with ketchup or any chutney.


Tip: Grate/coarse blend the vegetables if you want your ingredients to remain a secret!
What deception life teaches us ;)






As your little(& big!)one relishes the fritter, go watch this video, people. Amazing how times have changed from then to now...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eo5OhV0fks
Long Live Big B!







No comments:

Post a Comment